Friday, May 29, 2020

Brew Terminology

One of the more intimidating things for me when I started to research methods of home brewing was the terminology the brewers uses.  This will be a working list of terms that I have come across.  If I use these terms in my blog I will link it to this page so you have a handy guide.

Lees - are deposits of dead yeast or residual yeast and other particles that precipitate, or are carried by the action of "fining", to the bottom of a vat after fermentation and aging

Pitching - Term used for adding yeast to the fermenter

Racking - A term used that refers to the transfer of cider from one vessel to another.  Most often used to describe the kegging, casking, or bottling of cider.


** This will be a work in progress until I have a comprehensive list. **

No comments:

Post a Comment